The alien after fulfilling the specified assumptions (related in particular to the previous stay in Poland) is able to apply for granting one of two long-term permits: settlement permit and long-term resident’s EC residence permit. The permits above are unlimited, and residence cards issued after these permits are valid correspondingly: for settlement – 10 years, for long-term resident’s EC residence permit – 5 years.

Detailed information regarding the receipt of the permit is to be found:

  • in the Act of 13 June 2003 on Foreigners (i.e. Journal of Laws of 2006 No. 234, item 1694, as amended)

Documents required:

  • 4 copies of the application for the permit to settle filled out in compliance with the instruction
  • 4 up-to-date, colour undestroyed photographs, dimensions: 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm, taken in the last 6 months on a single light background with good focus and clearly showing the eyes and face from the top of the head to the top of the shoulders, so as the face occupy 70-80% of the photographs; photographs presenting a person without head covering and dark glasses, looking straight ahead with eyes open and natural expression of the face and mouth closed, face can not be covered with hair (providing additional photo will definitely facilitate the proceedings)
  • Valid travel document (3 photocopies)
  • Documents confirming the required uninterrupted stay in Poland
  • Certificate about the fulfillment of tax liabilities towards the State Treasury
  • Current confirmation of registration for temporary residence
  • Legal title to occupy the apartment in which the applicant stays or intends to stay in case he/she applies for the permit to settle based on Article 64 clause 1 point 3 (i.e. directly before submitting the application uninterrupted stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland for the period of not less than 10 years on the basis of the permit for tolerated stay pursuant to Article 97 clause 1 point 1 or 1a or clause 2 of the Act dated 13 June 2003 on the provision of protection to aliens on the territory of the Republic of Poland or for the period of 5 years in connection with obtaining the refugee status or supplemental protection)

Additionally the following shall be enclosed:

in case of  the minor being a child of the alien who has a permit to settle, born on the territory of the Republic of Poland:

  • Copy of birth certificate,
  • Copy of the decision on granting permit to settle or residence card of the statutory representative

in case of the child of Polish citizen being under his/her parental authority:

  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of personal identity card of the statutory representative

in case of marriage to a Polish citizen:

  • Current copy of marriage certificate
  • Photocopy of the personal identity card of the spouse
  • In case of joint children – copies of birth certificates